Friday, February 13, 2009

the friday five


1. If you were to have a scholarship created in your honor, what qualities would you look for in applicants (leadership, service, GPA, etc.)?

I would look for someone that you can see has tried hard to do their best, but may just be average. They need to show that they tried to make good grades, whether they had a high GPA or not. I would also like to see that they took part in service clubs of some sort, be it at school, church, or in the community.

2. Who would be eligible to apply for your scholarship (members of a certain major, ethnic group, sexuality, etc.)?

Everyone can apply for the scholarship. I don't believe excluding people is in the true of what it means to be a human being.

3. Would it be need-based or not? Why?

Yes, I think it would be need based. If someone comes from a family that has the means to pay for college then why should a scholarship be awarded to them in lieu of someone who does not have the means to pay and could possibly lose the chance without the scholarship.

4. What would you call it?

I know it says it would be in honor of me, but I would have to make it in honor of my grandma. I would call it the Rumina E. Bondurant scholarship in honor of my maternal grandmother, whom graduated high school late in her adult life. She was 51 and graduated the same time as my mom did from high school. I often wonder how much further my Grandmom would have gone if she had the means.

5. If you made applicants write an essay, what would the topic be?

I think it would be interesting to see what they would have changed in the last 2-4 years. What would they have done different, how and why. I think this would be good to see how they have grown and matured.

2 comments:

  1. Way to go G'ma!!

    What an awesome legacy she left, even if she didn't know it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't participate in this one, but found your responses worth reading ;--)
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete