Sunday, February 15, 2009

What is Prayer

As you have seen I am a follower of the Unity Church. "Unity is a positive, practical, progressive approach to Christianity based on the teachings of Jesus and the power of prayer." Before coming to Unity I would pray, but not in the way that I felt connected to God. It took me a long time to understand what true prayer is about.

Today I was listening to a podcast from the Austin Unity Church. It really helped put things into perspective and explain what I have known and felt for a couple years now.

The purpose of prayer is to get to your hub…your personal center…your heart…the heart of God…the heart of the world. It helps us to feel connected and secure. When I pray I enter into the depths of my heart, which is the depths of the heart of God. God doesn’t actually do anything…he/she just is…he/she is everywhere… Prayer helps to establish that connection with God, to enter into his/her heart. Communion with God takes place in our inner most being. So many of us pray with our head and never go to our inner most being. How effective is that? Prayer is an experience in our inner most being. It can be an outer thing that than that moves us to that inner place. Such as seeing a baby and feeling you have touched God. So, prayer is anything that moves you to that inner most being place where you are touched. Meditation helps us with that, to put us in that different state. The problem is we do our morning meditation and then we walk out of the house and life hits us. It takes a lot of practice to stay in that place that you are at peace and one with God. In order to help stay there more through the day and get rid of the negativity that creeps in we should take time in our day to pray multiple times in some way. I am going to try this more often. I work so much in my left brain all day I do believe that it will help me reach more to my right brain if I took time during my day for maybe a five minute break of prayer/meditation. I challenge you to do the same. I believe it will help us all to feel better with ourselves and handle real life so much easily.

Blessed Be

1 comment:

  1. "So, prayer is anything that moves you to that inner most being place where you are touched. Medication helps us with that, to put us in that different state."

    I laughed at "medication" putting us in a different spot....
    I can't tell you how many times I've read at a meeting "Sought through prayer and medication to improve our conscious contact with G-d--" and burst out laughing.
    Yes, I know it's mediTation....LOL.

    But I'm with you on meditation and being able to wear that centeredness through the day.
    Practice, practice, practice.....

    ReplyDelete