Sunday, April 11, 2010

What I have been Reading

I have picked up three books over the last few weeks to read and they were not intentional reads.  Well, when I added them to my Shelfari bookshelf one of them came up that I had added it in the past as a plan to read.  The other two were just ones that showed up unexpectedly through friends or such.


The first one was Revenant by Carolyn Haines.  I like mysteries, but other than J.D. Robb's futuristic cop series I have not read very many.  This was a quick read.  It was an okay story line, but it left me still wanting in the end. There is so much talk in the book about the reporters personal life, but I never feel like that part is addressed successfully by the end of the book.  And I was able to figure out "who did it" before the end of the book and I like to be kept guessing until the last few pages.  So, it was an okay read, but I will probably think twice before reading this author again.


Okay, the second book was Message in a Bottle by Nicholas Sparks.  A friend was reading this on the train and let me have it after she was done.  We all seem to be falling in love with the movies from his books and I had read Nights in Rodanthe before it became a movie.  So I already liked his writing also.  I did love this book, but the ending broke my heart.  I cried so hard.  I think a writer that can do that to you is just awesome.  Of course I hated the ending because who wants a story to end where it makes you cry so hard, but the story was great either way.  The book was written by the author because his mother had passed and he was watching is father mourn her sudden death.  It made him wonder if it is possible to find true love twice in a lifetime.  The question is still there, but he wrote a story that allowed one man to do just that...


The book I finished this morning is Sleeping with Fear by Kay Hooper.  I picked this up off a shelf at work were people leave books for others to pick up and read.  It was a really good book.  I did not figure out who was doing what until it was revealed.  I love that.  What I did not realize when I started reading this book is that it is #9 in a series of books...so guess what...now I feel compelled to read the whole series.  I have so many unfinished series I reading and so many I want to read...so many books so little time...LOL  This is a mystery type book with a tough female FBI agent that has psychic powers.  A pretty interesting twist.  In this one those powers are compromised and she had to figure out what and how it happened and stop it.  Not a bad story, well, good enough for me to want to get book one and read the series.  


So, not sure what book is next.  I down loaded The Spark: The 28-Day Breakthrough Plan for Losing Weight, Getting Fit, and Transforming Your Life to my Kindle PC version about a month or so ago, so I might actually get started on that.  I read a couple pages, but have not really got very far in it yet.  We'll see.  It is either that or finding the next book in the Stephanie Plum series I think.

2 comments:

  1. I have read all the Stephanie Plum books, I have most of them! They are so wonderful! I love J.D. Robb. I have read Nights in Rodanthe as well, I have Dear John on my Nook to read. I am really into mysteries too... I might have to read Sleeping with Fear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the Spark book--I was going to say I enjoyed it but I don't know if I can claim that when it made me weepy.
    As for me?

    STILL on Ahab's Wife--honest...it's a good read but much like you--sooooo many books, so little time......

    ReplyDelete